Music is a very important part of life at Holy Redeemer Catholic Primary School. Gifted and talented is a term used in schools to describe children who have the potential to develop significantly beyond what is expected for their age.
Gifted refers to a child who has abilities in one or more academic subjects, such as English or maths. Talented refers to a child who has skills in a practical area such as music, sport or art.
Although there is no specific for programme at the school for children who display an aptitude for music, the following is offered:
- If any child shows a particular interest in the subject the music co-ordinator will talk to the parent/carer. It is hoped that the child can be encouraged to pursue individual or group singing or music instrumental lessons.
- A number of peripatetic music staff visit the school and offer piano, brass, woodwind and singing lessons, either for individuals or in groups.
- The school is able to loan instruments to beginner pupils.
- All musicians are strongly encouraged to join the choir and further develop their aural/oral ability.
- After a set time, new instrumentalists are encouraged to join the band.
- Productive pupils are encouraged to take ABRSM grade exams as soon as they are ready.
- Good singers who have progressed in the choir are offered solo parts in concerts, Masses and shows.